July 7, 2014 in Breads, Recipes
You will love this moist and delicious bread – quick and easy to put together and suitable for just about any time of the day
- 1 package of cranberry-orange muffin mix
- 1-1/2 cups of shredded zucchini
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated orange peel
- Cream cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 3650F.
- Grease 8 x 4-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine muffin mix, zucchini, water, cinnamon and orange peel in medium bowl and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- Serve with cream cheese if desired.
June 24, 2014 in Breads, Recipes
Here is one of my quick and easy and very delicious recipe – definitely a nice addition to any dinner or lunch or as a snack. Try serving it with nice salad for a great summer meal!
- 1 – 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of buttermilk baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed, divided
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice.
- Combine baking mix, 1 teaspoon of oregano and 2/3 cup of reserved tomato juice in medium bowl.
- Press dough evenly to edges of 11 x 7 x 2 inch greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and remaining oregano over batter.
- Distribute tomato pieces evenly over cheese and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375F oven for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting squares to serve.
June 23, 2014 in Desserts, Recipes
You could buy a box of candy or make delicious cakes or cookies – but there really is no treat that will equal to fresh, locally grown strawberries that are coated in real chocolate!
And – you can make these ahead of time or have them ready on a short time notice – just a perfect treat!
- Coarsely chop about 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate
- Wash and dry 1 lb. of fresh strawberries (that’s about 20 of them and if you use locally grown strawberries, you will definitely notice the difference)
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Dip the strawberries – holding each strawberry by the stem end, dip in the melted chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip of. Repeat with the remaining berries.
- Transfer dipped strawberries onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- As you set each berry down, slide it about 1/2 inch to the side to prevent the formation of a “chocolate foot”.
- Refrigerate the strawberries until the chocolate is firm – at least 30 minutes.
- The dipped strawberries will keep up to 3 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
June 17, 2014 in Cakes, Recipes
You can cheat here a little bit to make this cake very easy to put together. Using quick bread and coffee cake mix and topping it with fresh apples makes up nicely for the cheat!
Fresh Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 package cinnamon swirl quick bread and coffee cake mix
- 3/4 cups of water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 13 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Set aside cinnamon swirl mix.
- Beat quick bread mix, water, egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Spread apples evenly over batter and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon swirl mix.
- Bake 22 -25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Remove cake to wire rack and cool for minimum of 15 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve warm at room temperature.
Please note: These flavors are at their peak when this coffee cake is served warm. To reheat, microwave on high for 10-15 minutes.
And consider serving it with vanilla ice cream – delicious!
June 9, 2014 in Parenting
I first wrote and posted this article 4 years ago – but reading it again I have to tell you – I enjoy it more and more each time. My hope is that all men out there will realize and understand just incredibly important their roles as fathers are and how it influences child’s life.
Here is the original article – Enjoy!
Today is Father’s Day – so it is more than appropriate to acknowledge that very important role that fathers play in any child’s life.
It is now well established that father’s involvement in child’s life is extremely important. Father’s interest increases child’s social development, sense of self-worth and academic success. And as important as women’s part in all aspects of child’s life is, man’s involvement and impact is equally as important but different:
- Father is the first “stranger” in the child’s life, unlike mothers, who children feel as an “extension” of themselves.
- Good relationship with this “stranger” sets the groundwork for dealing wit strangers later in life. Father plays a crucial role in children’s emotional health and the development of their sense of self-worth.
- As children grow older, fathers tend to push them to take chances in situations in which mothers may tend to urge more caution. Both of these approaches are critical to child’s balanced development.
- Dads – of course – provide something that moms can’t – a model of what it is like to be a man. Children will learn more from what they see fathers to do than what they hear them say. Both – actions and communication are important, showing how man conducts himself with dignity, integrity and respect for others.
- Girls also rely on their fathers to develop a sense of their own femininity. Girl’s relationship with the opposite sex will be greatly influenced by how she gets along with the first male in her life – her dad. Daughter will learn from her dad that she is worth being loved by a man. If dad has a loving relationship with her daughter, chances are that she will have a very good relationship with her partner later in life.
- One of the most effective way of being an involved father is to ensure direct and real one-on-one conversations with the child, creating a real two-way communication.
- A father who is genuinely engaged in raising his children is doing great stuff not just for his children, but for himself as well.
Kids are sponges who soak up love – and when they have enough of it, they are not shy about giving it back to you
Happy Father’s Day!