This time of the year many people are visiting garden centres and planting pretty flowers, healthy vegetables, ornamental shrubs… Nothing wrong with that, honestly! Personally, that is what I do as well. I just want to share a bit of information about herbs – and maybe you will see the benefit of actually growing a herb garden and repeaing its benefits.
- For centuries, nature has supplied the human race with medicines. The knowledge our ancestors gained has been passed down for centuries, and it has served humankind well.
- But as human civilization developed, the focus shifted. It turned to laboratories and chemicals. With the development of antibiotics in the 1930’s it became more and more apparent that humans can create all the medicines needed to fight all infections and diseases. That proved to be true for a long time, since diseases that used to kill millions and been eradicated or brought under control.
- But now, we are starting to learn about and see some downsides of modern medicine. Antibiotics have been so overused that some strains of bacteria have become resistant to them. And many pills that we have been taking for aches and pains are turning out to have some dangerous side effects.
- As a result, there has been a rapidly growing interest in re-discovering the remedies that nature readily offers. And it is becoming widely accepted that that these remedies greatly assist the human body to heal itself, rather than merely stifling the symptoms.
You have to ask: “can natural remedies cure all things that ail us?” the answer is :”no – not likely” And another question that needs to be brought up is” Are herbs and other natural substances safe and effective in every case and can you just blindly take herbs?” The answer is: “Definitely not” The fortunate fact is that most natural remedies tend to be milder and are less likely to cause harm – unlike most pharmaceuticals.
- Don’t get this wrong – the healing powers of nature’s remedies are not a reason to totally abandon modern medicine. It is without a doubt that advances in modern medicine have helped to prevent many diseases and treat a vast number of conditions as well. So the approach that makes sense is to complement modern medicine’s benefits with those that nature provides.
Here is some information about the healing power of well known herbs – the most logical advice I can give you is that you get as much information as possible about the herb that is likely to help you and discuss it with your family practitioner. Hopefully he or she will also see the benefit of combining the best of both worlds
Check out individual herbs and their benefits:
Hope you have enjoyed this information – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is very much wecomed and even more appreciated!