First published: August 15, 2012 in RecipesLast Updated: August 15, 2012 8:42 am Tough to read? Print this! Email This
It doesn’t always have to be a beef burger – this recipe for turkey burgers is a great alternative, tastes wonderful and it is a good idea to make the patties ahead of time and freeze them. And if you freeze them wrapped individually, you can defrost as many at a time as you need.
Healthy Turkey Burgers:
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 lb. of of lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup of reduced sour cream
- 4 tablespoons of prepared mango chutney (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- coarse salt
- 1 cup of mesclun lettuce mix
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In a medium bowl, tear 2 slices of bread into small pieces
- Add turkey meat, sour cream, 3 tablespoons of chutney, 1 tablespoon of mustard, chili powder and 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- Mix and shape into 4 patties – about 5 inches round
- At this point you can prepare them for freezing: freeze them on a baking sheet until firm – about 30 minutes. Then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, place them into a resealable freezer bag, label them and you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
- To cook your burgers: Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator
- Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat
- Place burgers on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until firm and cooked through – 4-5 minutes per side
- Lightly toast 4 slices of bread
- Dividing evenly, top each with lettuce, burger and tomato
- Stir together 1 tablespoon of chutney and 1 tablespoon of mustanrd and serve alongside burger so that each person can use as much as they wish.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated