First published: November 12, 2012 in RecipesLast Updated: November 12, 2012 10:09 am Tough to read? Print this! Email This
One of my favorite desserts to make is anything with apples and cinnamon – the baking aroma is just perfect for a rainy, cool fall day – or anytime actually! This recipe adds ginger and nutmeg and is really, really easy to make. Everything gets mixed in one bowl – so no big clean up – just a great result!
Try this incredibly easy to make Apple cake – it will most likely become your favorite as well!
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 lbs. of apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup of walnuts – you can use raising or dried cranberries as well or instead
- 2 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cups of sour cream
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups of milk
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan, set aside (you can use nonstick cooking spray if you want to)
- Peel, core and chop apples into about 3/4″ pieces
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Add the apples and walnuts or raisins – mix gently
- Add butter, sour cream and eggs – stir just until combined, adding milk until desired consistency
- Spoon into pan, smooth with a spatula – I sprinkled it with sliced almonds and vanilla sugar as well
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Cool in pan and dust with confectioner’s sugar to serve.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!