Delicious and easy to make – these butterfly rolls will be a hit at your dinner table! You can also change the recipe a little and make cinnamon rolls – just brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Drizzle with confectioners’ sugar glaze and you will have a real treat!
Homemade Butterfly Dinner Rolls
- 4-1/2 -5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1 cup of milk, scalded and cooled
- 6 tablespoons of butter, melted and divided
- 2 eggs. slightly beaten
For the glaze:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Mix well.
- Stir milk, 4 tablespoons of melted butter and eggs into flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic – about 5-10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease 24 three inch muffin pan cups.
- Punch down dough and then divide it in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll one dough half into 1/8 inch thick rectangle.
- Brush with some of the reserved butter.
- Cut dough into 1-1/2 inch wide strips.
- Stack 6 strips on top of each other.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough stacks into 1-1/2 inch pieces.
- Place dough pieces, cut side up in prepared muffin pan cups.
- Repeat with remaining dough and butter.
- Cover and let rise for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- Brush tops of rolls with egg glaze.
- Bake until golden – 12 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.
Hope you will enjoy these delicious rolls – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!