First published: May 1, 2013 in RecipesLast Updated: April 29, 2013 9:51 am Tough to read? Print this! Email This
- 1-1/2 cups of milk
- 1-1/2 cups of whipping cream (35%)
- 1 strip of orange zest – about 2 inches long
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups of hulled strawberries
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
How to make the strawberry puree:
- In food processor, puree together strawberries, sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Strain into a bowl and refrigerate.
Making the ice cream:
- In a saucepan, heat together milk, cream, orange zest over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around edge.
- Remove from heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt; slowly whisk in cream mixture
- Return to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat back of a spoon. – about 8 minutes
- Strain into bowl and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Reserving 1/4 cup of the puree, stir remaining puree into egg mixture
- Pour into 9 inch square pan
- Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface and freeze until almost solid – 3-4 hours
- Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.
- You can also freeze in ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon one quarter of the ice cream into airtight container and add one-third of the reserved puree, swirling slightly with spoon.
- Repeat twice.
- Cover with remaining ice cream and freeze until firm – about 6 hours.
- You can freeze this ice cream for up to one week.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is welcomed and very much appreciated!