If you like pineapple and have been thinking about making a great upside down cake – this recipe is for you! You will notice that the finished cake picture I took is missing a piece – a certain person invaded my kitchen and liked the look of this cake so much, he took a piece before I had a chance to take a picture. But that really speaks to the fact that this cake not only looks good – it is delicious – very nice and moist , not too sweet and now – all gone!
For those of you who are not comfortable making cakes, check out one of my previous posts on why cakes fail – I am sure it will help you!
Upside Down Pineapple Cake
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 12 canned pineapple rings
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan (I use non-stick baking spray)
2. Make pineapple base by melting 1/2 cup of butter in a medium pan over low heat. Add brown sugar and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour into prepared pan, drain pineapple rings and fit them into the bottom of your baking pan. Place one cherry into a centre of each ring and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and nutmeg.
4. In a large bowl, beat together softened butter, sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Use electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes and scrape sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs and beat until combined. On a low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Pour in milk and beat again until combined. Then beat in the remaining flour and vanilla.
5. Spread the mixture carefully over pineapple pieces in your baking pan.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
7. If you try to invert the cake too soon, it will stick to the pan. Place a serving tray over the pan and carefully invert. If any pineapple pieces stick to the pan, gently replace them on the cake top.
8. This cake is great served warm with either yogurt, whipping cream or vanilla ice cream! And it is best stored at room temperature for up to 3 days – but don’t worry – it won’t last that long!
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please send me your comments and experiences – I love sharing with all of you!