These biscuits are great with breakfast, lunch or dinner or as a snack between meals! I have used numerous variations of this recipe and I have included some of them for you at the bottom of the instructions. But don’t let that limit you – you can add other items (like chopped ham or bacon for breakfast biscuits) to this recipe and create your very own and special treats!
Prize Winning Tea Biscuits:
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of milk
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening with 2 knives or a pastry blender, until mixture is the consistency of course cornmeal.
- Make a well in the centre of these ingredients; add liquid slowly.
- When all the liquid has been added, stir dough rather vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board and kneed lightly for a few minutes.
- Roll or pat out to desired thickness – about 1/2 inch.
- Cut dough with a knife or biscuit cutter, place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a hot oven (450F) for 12 – 15 minutes.
Variations of Tea Biscuits:
Cheese – Decrease shortening to 3 tablespoons and salt to 3/4 teaspoon. Cut in 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese with shortening.
Buttermilk – Decrease baking powder to 2 teaspoons; add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Substitute 1 cup of buttermilk for milk
Fruit or Nuts – Add 1/4 cups of granulated sugar and decrease milk to 3/4 cup. Add 3/4 cup of raisins, currants or nuts with milk.
Whole Wheat – use 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all purpose flour
Update: If you enjoyed this recipe, you may want to check out my Top Ten Biscuit Recipes by following this link: