July 7, 2014 in Breads, Recipes
You will love this moist and delicious bread – quick and easy to put together and suitable for just about any time of the day
- 1 package of cranberry-orange muffin mix
- 1-1/2 cups of shredded zucchini
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated orange peel
- Cream cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 3650F.
- Grease 8 x 4-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine muffin mix, zucchini, water, cinnamon and orange peel in medium bowl and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- Serve with cream cheese if desired.
June 24, 2014 in Breads, Recipes
Here is one of my quick and easy and very delicious recipe – definitely a nice addition to any dinner or lunch or as a snack. Try serving it with nice salad for a great summer meal!
- 1 – 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of buttermilk baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed, divided
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice.
- Combine baking mix, 1 teaspoon of oregano and 2/3 cup of reserved tomato juice in medium bowl.
- Press dough evenly to edges of 11 x 7 x 2 inch greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and remaining oregano over batter.
- Distribute tomato pieces evenly over cheese and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375F oven for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting squares to serve.
June 17, 2014 in Cakes, Recipes
You can cheat here a little bit to make this cake very easy to put together. Using quick bread and coffee cake mix and topping it with fresh apples makes up nicely for the cheat!
Fresh Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 package cinnamon swirl quick bread and coffee cake mix
- 3/4 cups of water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 13 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Set aside cinnamon swirl mix.
- Beat quick bread mix, water, egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Spread apples evenly over batter and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon swirl mix.
- Bake 22 -25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Remove cake to wire rack and cool for minimum of 15 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve warm at room temperature.
Please note: These flavors are at their peak when this coffee cake is served warm. To reheat, microwave on high for 10-15 minutes.
And consider serving it with vanilla ice cream – delicious!
March 18, 2014 in Breads, Recipes
Until I found this recipe, I used to throw bananas that turned black and soft straight into the composter. Not any more! Bananas gone past their prime are the best for this recipe and if you have more of them then what the instructions call for – do not worry – use them – it will make the bread even better! And the good thing is that you can store this delicious bread in your freezer for a long time – when you defrost it, it will taste as if you had just baked it that day!
Best Ever Banana Bread
- 1-1/2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup of corn syrup
- I cup of mashed bananas
- Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in nuts.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in another bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in liquid, stir only until flour is moistened.
- Spoon into a greased loaf pan (8-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ x 2-1/2″)
- Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!
November 15, 2013 in Breads, Recipes
Delicious and easy to make – these butterfly rolls will be a hit at your dinner table! You can also change the recipe a little and make cinnamon rolls – just brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Drizzle with confectioners’ sugar glaze and you will have a real treat!
Homemade Butterfly Dinner Rolls
- 4-1/2 -5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1 cup of milk, scalded and cooled
- 6 tablespoons of butter, melted and divided
- 2 eggs. slightly beaten
For the glaze:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Mix well.
- Stir milk, 4 tablespoons of melted butter and eggs into flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic – about 5-10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease 24 three inch muffin pan cups.
- Punch down dough and then divide it in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll one dough half into 1/8 inch thick rectangle.
- Brush with some of the reserved butter.
- Cut dough into 1-1/2 inch wide strips.
- Stack 6 strips on top of each other.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough stacks into 1-1/2 inch pieces.
- Place dough pieces, cut side up in prepared muffin pan cups.
- Repeat with remaining dough and butter.
- Cover and let rise for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- Brush tops of rolls with egg glaze.
- Bake until golden – 12 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.
Hope you will enjoy these delicious rolls – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!