There are some smart solutions to common household challenges that I believe can help in making your life easier. Here are my Top 10 – hope you will enjoy them!
1. Rose Fertilizer: You can recycle old banana peels by using them as fertilizer. The peels are a great source of potassium and phosphorus, which roses need to grow and bloom. Bury the peels in about an inch of soil around your rose bushes.
2. Spare Key Solution: To help remember which key goes to what, take a picture of the object (desk drawer,filing cabinet,car,back door,etc.) and tape the key tot eh back of the picture. Then store the pictures in a recipe box so that you can find them easily.
3. Attack the Static: To keep your television screen and stereo equipment dust-free, wipe them with used fabric softener sheet. It leaves behind a light residue that will reduce static electricity, which attracts dust.
4. Homemade Mouse Repellent: When mice invade your home, put out sacks of crushed peppermint leaves to chase them away. Make them by filling old stockings, socks or pantyhose with peppermint leaves (from your garden or from your local health food store) Mice dislike the smell and stay away.
5. Packing Tip: Packing shoes and clothes together is difficult – who wants to get clothes dirty with putting their shoes next to them? The next time you travel, slide your shoes into old, clean socks for packing without problems.
6. Fresher Leftovers: When storing leftover bottled spaghetti sauce or soup, place a double layer of plastic cling wrap under the metal cap. This stops the chemical reaction between metal and the contents, so the leftovers taste better longer.
7. Refresh Your Celery: If your celery stalks get limp, put them in a tall container with a few ice cubes and some water. In no time at all, they will be crisp again.
8. Trash protector: To discourage dogs, cats and birds form ripping into trash bags, spray the bags lightly with insect repellent. The smell drives the animals away.
9. Button Saver: To keep buttons from falling off your children’s clothing, put a layer of clear nail polish over the threads. It will harden the threads and “glue” them to the button.
10. Keep Drains Clean: Once a month, drop three antacid tablets, followed by a cup of plain white vinegar, down the drain in your kitchen. Then wait a few minutes and run the hot water. The combination of acid and bubbles will dissolve any food or grease stuck in the pipes.
Hope you enjoyed these household smart solutions – please send in your comments or suggestions – your input is always welcomed!