I just found this recipe and remembered that I wanted to try it out some time ago already. It apparently comes from Virginia and it just has to taste great! Caramel with pecans and apples – you literally cannot go wrong! If that is something that appeals to you, here is the recipe:
- 7 cups of sliced tart apples
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 4-12 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of caramel ice cream topping (room temperature)
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 3 tablespoon of melted butter
3/4 cup of flour
- 2/3 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of cold butter
- 1/4 cup of caramel ice cream topping – at room temperature
- In a large bowl. toss together apples with lemon juice and vanilla
- Combine the pecans, sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch, add it to apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour caramel topping over bottom of pastry shell, top with apple mixture and drizzle with butter.
- In a small bowl. combine the flour, pecans and sugar.
- Cut in butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Sprinkle over filling
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes, until filling is bubbly and topping is browned.
- Immediately drizzle with caramel topping
- Cool on a wire rack
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!