Give a consideration to making something special for mom this Mother’s Day. It could be these easy to make and very, very delicious Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes. The recipe is easy to follow, so you can involve your children and watch their faces light up with pride as they serve mom something they made!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
- 3 cups of strawberries
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 4 cups of vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup of chocolate sauce
- 2-1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg and vanilla, add to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork to make a soft dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press dough into a ball.
- On a floured surface, knead gently about 10 times.
- Pat into 1-inch thick round, cut out rounds, patting out scraps and making more rounds.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush biscuits with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the centre of the 400F oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until puffed and test toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on pan on racks.
- Meanwhile, mix:
- 3 cups of strawberries with 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar, cover and let stand for a minimum of 20 minutes until juices form (when making ahead, let stand for 2 hours)
- Split cooled biscuits horizontally in half, place bottom half on each serving plate or large platter, layer with berries, ice cream, chocolate sauce and biscuit top.
Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and send me your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is very much welcomed and very much appreciated