Great pie for any occasion! You can choose to make it for your Easter or Thanksgiving dinner dessert – it may take as little time to prepare but it is definitely worth it – the creamy-tart pie will be a hit!
Cranberry Custard Pie:
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1-3/4 cups of whole milk
- 5 large egg yokes, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- Prepare the pie crust as per recipe (click on the link above)
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer to 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim the dough to a 1-inch overhang and tuck under itself to form a thick rim.
- Crimp the edge.
- Chilll ofr at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with fork.
- Line the dough with a piece of foil, leaving overhang all around.
- Fill with dry beans or pie weights and bake until dry, 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the beans or weights and foil.
Make the Custard:
- Reduce oven to 325F.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yokes, butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the parbaked pie crust and bake until the centre is set but still slightly wobbly – 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool; chill in refrigerator until firm – 4-5 hours.
Make the Topping:
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, orange zest and juice in a medium pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until liquid thickens and some of the cranberries burst -about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl and chill until cold, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spread the cranberry mixture on the pie and serve immediately.
- Or refrigerate the pie and topping separately for up to 2 days.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send me your comments, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!