Last Updated on
Scones are a great thing to make – whether you serve them for breakfast, with lunch, as a snack or add them to your dinner menu.I have made scones in various flavors in the past and my favorite ones were Cranberry Orange Scones. I’m always testing different variations on my recipes, this time I tried something completely different. Here is a recipe for double strawberry scones, they’re double strawberry, because the recipe uses a mixture of fresh and freeze-dried strawberries.
Freeze-dried strawberries have more intense flavor and are sometimes sweeter than fresh strawberries. These scones turned out beautifully flaky and very tasty. Serving them warm is a must and honestly – serving them also with butter and homemade jam is a definite treat!
Double Strawberry Scones
- 2-1/2 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Vanilla Sugar
Getting your ingredients ready before starting to assemble the dough is a good idea – you won`t forget to anything and it will make your task much easier.
1. Cut your fresh strawberries into small pieces
2. In a large bowl. stir together flour. 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 butter knives, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. Gently mix in strawberries – both the fresh and the freeze-dried
3. In a medium bowl. stir together eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients all at once
4. Gently stir until just moistened and turn dough on generously floured surface and knead gently by folding and pressing it, turning dough 1/4 turn after each fold
5. Transfer to greased round pan, pat to make sure the dough reaches edges, cut with pizza cutter or a sharp knife into wedges and slightly pull apart.
6. Brush wedges with milk and sprinkle with vanilla sugar
7. Bake in oven preheated to 400F for 15-20 minutes or until golden
8. Serve these warm, refrigerate any leftover scones and reheat to serve again.
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe, please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences- your input is always welcomed and much appreciated!