You can make a batch of these easy pies and freeze them to have a quick dinner ready whenever you need to. I have made these pies in smaller sizes as well, using little foil forms and I did them both ways – freezing them unbaked as well as baking them first and freezing them for later use. Personally, I prefer freezing them unbaked, carefully defrosting them at room temperature and baking them in time for dinner. You can use commercially available pie crusts, or make you own to make this pie truly country style homemade. Either way – it’s very easy to make and tastes great!
To make your own pastry, follow this link:
Easy Country Style Chicken Pie Recipe
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 cups of chopped chicken meat
- ¾ cups of mixed vegetables
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pastry and line a deep 9” pie plate, reserving some pastry for top crust.
- Saute onions and green peppers in butter until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Roll out top crust. Make slits to allow steam to escape.
- Place over pie and seal again.
- Bake in moderately hot oven (425 F) for 20 -25 minutes or until pastry is done.
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed!