Making your own Halloween treats is a great idea! I would recommend that if you choose to make them and hand them out, include a little card in a package with your name and phone number to let parents know that you are honest and the treats are harmless.
This is a recipe you can easily include your children in making – and have fun doing it!
Chocolate Licorice Broomsticks
- About 7 yards of licorice lace
- 8 licorice sticks
- 10 oz. of dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Baking Paper
- Small heatproof bowl
- Small saucepan
- Metal Spoon
- Line tray with baking paper
- Use scissors to cut the licorice lace into 8 long lengths of 8 inch and 80 short lengths of 2-1/2 inches
- Gather 10 short lengths and hold them in a bundle – this is the “straw” of the broomstick.
- Insert a licorice stick inside the bundle, going about 1-1/4 inches down like a handle
- Wrap a long length of licorice tightly around the top of the bundle to secure it to the handle (the licorice should be stocky enough so that you won’t need to tie a knot)
- Continue making broomsticks with the remaining licorice lace and sticks.
- Place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a small saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until chocolate melts, then remove from the heat.
- Take a broomstick and dip the straw into the melted chocolate, swirling it around to coat the licorice strands all over.
- Remove from the chocolate and allow any excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Lay on the prepared tray and continue to dip the remaining broomsticks.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the chocolate.
- The broomsticks can be stores in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 week.
Hope you will enjoy making these special treats – please send me your comments, suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated!