Last Updated on
Mini Baked Alaskas Recipe:
- 1-1/2 cups of coarsely chopped berries (strawberries or raspberries are the best)
- 2 tablespoons of orange or almond liqueur (skip this if you will serve this dessert to children)
- 6 small round sponge cakes or 6 brownies – about 3 inch dia. or square
- about 2 cups of vanilla or strawberry ice cream
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- In a bowl, stir berries with the liqueur
- Evenly space cake rounds on a large, parchment lined baking sheet. If using brownies, press down in the centres to create shallow depression
- Fill each round with about 1/4 cup of berry mixture , drizzle any remaining juice over berries
- Place one scoop of ice cream – about 1/3 of a cup on top of each berry mound.
- Immediately place in freezer to firm up the ice cream
- Leave at least 1/2 hour or up to one hour. Check occasionally to ensure berries don’t freeze.
- About 10 minutes before serving, place an oven rack in the centre of oven with no rack above it.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place egg white and cream of tartar in a large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat on high until peak form when beaters are lifted – 2-3 minutes.
- With beaters running, gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Remove baking sheet from the freezer
- Working quickly, generously dollop meringue over ice cream and berries and don’t worry about it looking perfect
- Using back of the spoon, swirl to cover the ice cream and berries, leaving the cake exposed.
- If using brownies, cover the cake as well.
- Then swirl the meringue into peaks.
- Place in preheated oven and bake just until peaks of meringue turn golden – about 3 minutes – watch closely!
- Serve immediately
I hope you will enjoy this delicious and easy to make dessert – please send me your comments, your feedback is always welcomed and very much appreciated!