This beautiful sweet treat is moist and tender and a very nice alternative to the traditional pecan pie. It may not be the “lightest” of desserts, but it has less fat and fewer calories than lots of other sweet treats.
Whether you decide to include it in your Thanksgiving feast or your special Christmas dinner – or just make it for a surprise dessert on a weekday – I am sure you, your family and your friends will enjoy it!
Old Fashioned Upside Down Pecan Cake:
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of dark corn syrup
1-1/2 cups of pecan halves
1 package of butter pecan cake mix
1 cup of sour cream
1/3 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and pecans.
- Spread then evenly into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, coated with cooking spray and set aside.I
- In a large bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients – beat with a mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds. Then beat on medium for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
You can serve this delicious cake warm (try putting a little French Vanilla ice cream on the side!) or at room temperature.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe and I will greatly appreciate your comments, suggestions and experiences!