Last Updated on
Here is a recipe for a delicious and different dessert – it will give you a cross between pumpkin/squash pie and creme caramel. It has a beautiful colour that goes well with the season and rich taste that will do well for any occasion.
- 2 lbs. of butternut squash
- 2-1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger root
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of each cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups of 10 % cream
- Half squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place, cut side down, on foiled-lined baking sheet and bake in 425F oven until soft when pierced with a fork – 30-45 minutes.
- Let cool and then scoop flesh from the skin.
- Puree in food processor or force through fine sieve.
- I heavy-bottom saucepan, melt 1 cup of sugar over medium heat, swirling the pan but not stirring, until sugar is golden brown.
- Add 3/4 cup of the remaining sugar and cook until deep nutty brown.
- Stir in ginger, averting your face and using long-handled spoon, cook until the mixture bubbles subside, then stir in lemon juice and 1/4 cup of water.
- Strain through sieve into 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining sugar, eggs, egg yolks, rum, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt until smooth and light.
- In saucepan, whisk together cream and squash puree over high heat, until just beginning to simmer.
- Gradually stir into egg mixture, beating gently with wooden spoon until fully incorporated but without aerating mixture.
- Pour into caramel-lined baking dish
- Place baking dish in roasting pan, pouring enough boiling water to come halfway up side of the dish.
- Bake in centre of 325F oven until set in the centre, about 65 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from pan and let cool on a rack.
- To serve, place dish in hot water for about 20 seconds to loosen caramel, cover with serving dish and invert. Carefully lift dish off custard.
- Heat any caramel adhering to the dish by placing the dish in larger container of hot water and pour over custard.
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe – please send in your comments, suggestions and experiences, your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated.