Last Updated on
I can almost taste it! Imagine – fresh locally grown asparagus with taste of garlic and leeks, topped with cream and homemade croutons…. That’s what I am making for dinner tonight – try it as well!
Asparagus Soup With Homemade Croutons:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 leek (both white and green parts) thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 lbs. of asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of each – salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 cups of cubed crusty whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium heat.
- Cook shallots and 3 cloves of garlic, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened – about 3 minutes.
- Add leek, cook, stirring until softened – about 6 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender – about 5 minutes.
- In batches in a blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Return to saucepan over medium heat – stir in cream and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, toss bread with remaining oil and garlic; spread on parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Bake at 450F oven until golden – about 8 minutes.
- Combine sour cream with chopped chives.
- Dollop cream mixture on each bowl of soup and sprinkle with croutons.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe – please send in your comments. suggestions and experiences – your input is always welcomed and very much appreciated